Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Scraping Bottom


Sunday, November 18th, I spent a few hours scraping the bottom.  On Froonie, the Sea Sprite 23', I took the orbital sander directly to the bottom paint.  The work was long and arduous - removing the stubborn bottom paint until I arrived at the gelcoat.  The oppressive Florida summer heat made the work all the more less appealing.  My approach to removing the bottom paint on the Westsail was founded in experience - a miserable experience!  I used a hand scraper, something similar to this but without the high price tag, and found the removal very easy.  




I will spend, hopefully, very little time with the random orbital to clean up the balance of the bottom...




Time Today: 3.5 hours

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. That must not have been fun.

    FWIW, I have used the environmentally friendly "Peel Away" product to remove four layers of bottom paint. It worked pretty well. It would take that remaining residue off with no problem.

    ReplyDelete