Saturday, November 30, 2013

More Sanding

     Spent another block of time in the Westsail today, sanding away the old to prepare for the new.  I thought I would add a picture to demonstrate the work being done through this phase.  I was looking forward to getting in and beginning this sanding work because it is such a milestone:  with sanding finished, the surface is prepped for NEW construction!  This sanding work must be some sort of right-of-passage, a test to determine if you really have the stuff to outfit a boat.  Thank goodness the weather has turned cold (cold for Florida), as it allows me to at least be comfortable while working in the attire prescribed:  I am wearing a pair of thermal pants, tucked into high wool socks, a pair of work pants over the thermals, two long-sleeve shirts, a Tyvek suit with hood over my clothes, and I liberally tape up my ankles and wrists.  I wear a pair of thick rubber gloves and tape the Tykev suit to these gloves, finished off with another pair of heavy work gloves.  AND STILL, I FEEL THE ITCHY GLASS!  ARGGGHHH!  Thoughts of the end product remain the focus.

You can see the area to the left is yet to be sanded.  Sanding with 40-grit psa disks (5" and 6") on Porter Cable 7335 and 7336 sanders.



Total Time: 7 Hrs.

2 comments:

  1. Great work Brian. I'm following your progress with great interest.

    Regards,

    Werner
    Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Werner! Hope things are well with you. Did you ever get the self-steering vane working? Shoot me some pics of your shower pan arrangement, if you could. I am wanting to get some ideas on layout. My e-mail: jaxsurf@gmail.com Happy Holidays to you!!

    ReplyDelete